MK1 Paint/Styling opinions wanted

--- Ken Bates <indiana_red@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am planing on having a high quality paint jon on
> my '79 this
> spring/summer, Dark Metallic Red.  How do you list
> folks deal with the
> paranoia of car door dings and such after something
> like that. This will be
> a daily driver.  I like the "clean, lean and mean
> look" ala "Vomit Comet"
> and will not be keeping the 1" wide molding down low
> but, am debating about
> a ding guard strip at the body corner that runs just
> below the door handle.
> I have the black aprox 5/8" rubber trangle
> (X-Section) shaped strip that
> came off the stock 16v parts car and am considering
> using this.  It looks
> like Randy's "Mars" has this.  I realize this is my
> own thing, just bouncing
> it off others who might have a  "...I wish I would
> have..."  story
>
> Ken
> '79 Scirocco 16v project "McFly"
> '86 16v (parts car)
> VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"
I also filled in the holes for the lower "chrome"
strip on the "rocker panel".

I am highly paranoid about dings. For our '78
Scirocco, which is a daily driver, I will add a rubber
strip in the place where the factory strip was
("beltline"). Even so, we still park far away, and
between concrete columns if possible.

My paranoia is well founded - I've been dinged many
times while I was in the car - one time an old lady
backed into the side of my '75 - lifting the car up a
little. She then denied doing it . . .

Nothin' fancy though - I'll just use the stuff they
sell at the parts store with the adhesive backing.

For my sunny day only "fun" car (the '81), I'll
probably leave the strips off.

You make the call  ;-)

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1983 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco "Knife", 1981 Scirocco S, 1978 Scirocco "Miss Spoon", 1987 Golf GT / Yes, I am a moron . . .
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)