Carlisle trip report (was 16valves of bliss)

Since you like positive posts (who doesn't) here is my trip report from last
weekend.

I couldn't take the racing "stuff" and the camping "stuff" all in Rolling
Roc so I loaded Rolling Roc on the dolly and took off for Carlisle Thursday
afternoon. Six hours later I had the car unloaded and the truck set up as
the "home away from home". Sipped some Stoli with Paul before hitting the
rack.

Friday morning I did a thorough search of the swap meet (disappointing)
chatted with some kit car folks then headed out to explore the environs. We
ended up at a pick and pull that we'd visited before only to find that the
crusher had been there the week before (tears). I did manage to find a
Nospeed upper stress bar, Golf eurolights and the rest of the pullies I
needed to put the PS rack in Merrilee's Cabby. Oh, there was an early 90's
Golf four door auto that only needed a fender and grill to be 100%. I could
have had it for $300.00 but there was just no way to get it home and a
return trip would have made it not such a good deal. Off to Harrisburg for
some Mexican before returning to camp for some Stoli and Coronas with Dave
and Jen.

Saturday was spent at the fair grounds jawing with folks with only a two
hour "I gotta go for a ride". Set the car up for the racing the next
morning, a camp dinner with Paul, Dave, Jen and Dick. We all went to see
Batman then returned to camp for more Stoli, Coronas and a frigid nights
sleep.

Sunday was the autocross but was the strangest thing I'd ever run. It was
almost time trials but not quite. They divided us up into groups of 20 per
hour. Everyone got four laps then five lap runs until the hour was up. The
first two laps were warm up then a timed lap then a cool down. The five lap
runs were not timed and were just for fun. The track was new asphalt, 25'
wide and a quarter mile long with a 10' elevation change. The track was
interesting and challenging but if you have ever run stickies at 34 degrees
you know that they are quite useless until there are a few miles worth of
heat in them. Consequently my timed run was miserable but I really enjoyed
the fun runs after the tires were heated up. Next time I'm not going to pick
a morning hour, live and learn. We all had lunch together and hit the swaps
while they were packing up. I got a pair of power regulators for a MKII but
there really wasn't much in the way of VW. We packed the vehicles and stayed
for the car give away (I didn't win AGAIN).

It was a nice pleasant six hour ride home. A great weekend, lots of Rolling
Roc seat time, good friends and cheer.

Wish you were there.

Rick Alexander
http://www.brubakerbox.com