[OT] new vehicle weights

I recently had to drive one of those god-awful looking
Toyota Echos and was surprised at the nimbleness of
the car. It felt a lot like my Mk1 but with 20 more
horsepower, though with none of the soul.. I guess it shouldn't have
been a surprise since the curb weight is 2020 lbs!
How did they do that in a modern chassis??? The car
is bigger than a Lupo or Mini but weighs several hundred pounds less.
Will we ever see such a light weight product from VW...and in a coupe
format (not econo-box sedan/hatch)??? I'll be driving Sciroccos until that
happens.

Kareem
1981 Scirocco S
1988 Scirocco 16v