Is an '81 Diesel exhaust manifold "the right one"

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 07:31:27PM -0700, Robbie Cotner wrote:

>    I was overjoyed today when I called my local junkyard to find that
>    they do have an '81 rabbit diesel, complete with exhaust manifold and
>    downpipe.  Would this fit on my '83 Scirocco 8v?  If so, this is the
>    "performance" one, right?(well at least better performing than my
>    toilet bowl manifold), with the dual downpipe?

It will bolt up fine, it has the same dimensions as a gas one, and it is
less likely to be cracked than a gas one... but you will need to have a
fitting welded to the downpipe so you have somewhere to mount your oxygen
sensor.

>    Lastly, after looking
>    in my bentley I see that the cars with the dual downpipes have a
>    bracket that goes from the downpipe to the engine block, do I need to
>    get this also?

Yes, if you want your downpipe to last.  Also grab the flex pipe that
bolts to the downpipe.  You will probably have to have a shop weld a
flange to it so you can bolt up your catalytic converter.

Dan

--
Remember kids, if there's a loaded gun in the room, be sure
that you're the one holding it.