the bloodletting conitnues.

OMG,

That is (part) of the problem I had for a long time that I couldn't
diagnose. The final piece to the puzzle for me was to replace the starter.
My theroy was that my starter (which was 20 years old) got too weak to turn
over the big fat 2.0 and it's high-compression. It was really hard for the
starter to turn the motor over at all, and for a long time I just thought it
was a bad battery. Back to the theory...as the old starter strained to turn
over the motor, it would draw all the current from the battery and leave
nothing to make a good spark.

I replaced my starter with one from a turbo deisel car and it spins the heck
out of the motor now. Never a starting problem since.

So if you are still running your original starter, you may want to upgrade
it to at least the 2.0 16V starter.

Good Luck -- Craig