starts when you let OFF the key!

Cathy-
  This is exactly the starting problem I had with my '87 16V when I bought
it.
The cure:  simply the old, standard "clean and lube the grounds".
Starts instantly when cold now....

Craig-
 This may have been your problem also.  You just fixed it when you removed
and replaced the wires during the starter replacement.   Aaaarrrrgghh!

Larry

> OMG,
>
> That is (part) of the problem I had for a long time that I couldn't
> diagnose. The final piece to the puzzle for me was to replace the starter.
> My theroy was that my starter (which was 20 years old) got too weak to
turn
> over the big fat 2.0 and it's high-compression. It was really hard for the
> starter to turn the motor over at all, and for a long time I just thought
it
> was a bad battery. Back to the theory...as the old starter strained to
turn
> over the motor, it would draw all the current from the battery and leave
> nothing to make a good spark.
>
> I replaced my starter with one from a turbo deisel car and it spins the
heck
> out of the motor now. Never a starting problem since.
>
> So if you are still running your original starter, you may want to upgrade
> it to at least the 2.0 16V starter.
>
> Good Luck -- Craig
>
> >From: Cathy Boyko <losinit@usa.net>
> >To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> >Subject: the bloodletting conitnues.
> >Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 19:34:16 -0400
> >
> >Well, here's the latest "theory" on the car's bad behavior, tell me what
> >you
> >think.
> >
> >A recap of the symptoms- Car is a 2L/ 1.8 head 16V Rocco. The car
wouldn't
> >start, then we realized it would start but only as you brought the key
back
> >from the start to the run position, and had it hooked up to booster
cables
> >as
> >well. The ignition switch had been replaced to correct this problem, but
no
> >luck. It runs well once it does start, and right about now, I am having
> >fantasies about how good it would look in the crusher. I am seriously
> >wondering how many more parts it could possibly need. It's ranking just
> >slightly above the PT for reliability right now.
> >
> >Diagnosis - needs a new distributor. Does this sound reasonable? And what
> >is
> >the going rate for one of these, new or used, because I'm not too
thrilled
> >with what I've heard from the dealer so far pricewise. And don't bother
> >with
> >the "evils of the dealer" stuff either, it's the only game in town. And I
> >don't have the time to go junkyard scrounging at this time of the year.
I'm