Ignition Lock Cylinder Swap

i did such a swap recently, putting an 8v cylinder into my new 16v.  my 8v
had a hole in the right place to pop out the ignition cylinder with ease,
but the 16v didnt.  knowing where the part that needs to be depressed was, i
made a tool to realease the 16v's without drilling or removing the casting.
i took a small piece of brass, cut it with snips to about 1/4 inch wide and
3 inches long, then i smashed it very thin with a hammer so i could slide it
between the casting and the cylinder (after i pulled the rubber cover off).
about five minutes of wiggling later, the cylinder slid right out and i
popped the 8v one in.

hth,

tony

>From: Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com>
>To: Ken Bates <indiana_red@hotmail.com>,  "Leach, Michael"
><michael.leach@lmco.com>, scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Re: Ignition Lock Cylinder Swap
>Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 11:46:41 -0700 (PDT)
>

>--- Ken Bates <indiana_red@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > One (or both) of my Bentlys mention that you have to
> > drill the cylinder in a
> > special to access arelease pin.  Then you can pull it out
> > and snap in a new
> > one.  I have a Key/lock that I want to move from the 16v
> > parts car to the
> > 79.
> > Is this something someone has done before?  Is it as
> > straight forward as I
> > am being lead to believe?
>
>IME, it is much easier to remove the entire casting with
>lock cylinder and ignition switch to swap over.  (you can
>never seem to get the hole drilled in exactly the right
>place.)  Easy 15 minute job.
>

>=====
>Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
>'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
>'82 Pickup
>'90 Passat Wagon
>"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of
>the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace

Tony Morehead
1987 16v Scirocco
his the other