8V mods

Danno,
      I also have an 84 8v and have been researching mods for it for the
past year or so.  I have been collecting the parts and plan to put them on
this summer when I have a little more time.  Here are my opinions!
     The first and most important mod is the replacement of the exhaust
manifold.  It is the most restrictive VW ever made.  Replace it with a used,
stock 4 into 2 manifold and a Tectonics Tuning down pipe.  These manifolds
are getting harder and harder to find in good shape.  Many are cracked
especially near the O2 sensor hole.  Try looking for a rabbit diesel 4 into
2 manifold.  Since it is a diesel it runs cooler and does not have a O2
hole, they seem to be less prone to cracking.  This manifold is not the one
shown on TT's web site.  That 4 into 2 is for A2 VWs, you can tell that the
outlet is off set from the center.  The one you want has the outlets in the
center.  Use the TT downpipe with the O2 hole.
    Next, replace the stock exhaust with a 2" Tectonics cat back system.
      Replace the stock cam with a G or N cam.  The G cam is an aftermarket
cam that was never available in stock VW in this country.  The N cam was the
stock cam used in early 1.6l motors.  These are the only two cams you can
use with stock springs.  They are also the only cams that have decent
drivability chrematistics.
      Replace the small throttle body (TB) with an Audi 5000 or a GTI TB and
port the intake. The TB is one of the last mods.  You cannot let more air in
if it wont get out the exhaust.  Some people say that the large TB does
improve throttle response without any of the other mods but it won't get you
any more HP without them.  You also have to port (make the opening bigger)
on the intake manifold or get and Fox intake.  The Fox is already ported to
accept the larger TB and is basically bolt on compatible.  Rick Kellner.

Good source of information.  VW Performance Handbook, Greg Raven ISBN #
0-7603-0491-2
TB conversion sites
http://longcoeur.com/scirocco/Technotes/throttlebody/index.html
http://www.scirocco.org go to tech procedures, SciroccII, TB conversion.