8V mods

Exhaust is the biggest thing. They came with a stock crappy single-outlet
manifold. Get yourself a dual outlet manifold and a TT dual downpipe or an
Autotech header or something else like that. Of course, you risk breaking
studs off in the head when you do this, which necessitates taking off the
head and having them drilled out at a machine shop. This and 2" mandrel
bent exhaust will make the biggest difference for the least money.
Put a set of high-compression pistons in there from (for example) an
'85-'87 GTI/GLI and you'll get yourself a lot more power, but your motor
will become an interference motor, and you'll have to run higher octane
fuel or install a knock sensor.
A G-grind or hotter cam is nice. I hear that the 1.6L cam is a little
hotter than the stock 1.8 cam.
A Golf throttle body portmatched to your intake manifold gives a nice
little kick. The secondary butterfly is bigger. This throttle body is the
same as the Jetta II throttle body, the Audi 5000 throttle body, and the
Neuspeed throttle body. You have to flip the linkage around, but that's no
big deal. Your idle adjustment screw will end up facing your firewall,
which is annoying sometimes. This mod will give you almost no benefit (and
perhaps actually will do the opposite) if you don't carefully portmatch it
to your intake manifold. You have to remove a lot of material - don't go
through the side!
A K&N or an Amsoil filter will give you a nominal gain. A functional hood
scoop or under-bumper scoop with screen will give you more (this is on my
list of things to do). Drilling your airbox out is a debate - some say it
helps, some say it doesn't. But it definitely changes the sound of your
car :)
	-Josiah