Uh-oh (cracks in front crossmember)...

<snip>
> Would I be better off trying to fix and reinforce the cross-member and still
> get my bodywork done this summer? Or should I just find a good shell,
> reinforce it, and swap all my stuff over to it?

  I would definitely try to reinforce the front cross member rather than
finding another shell.  Swapping *everything* from one car to another is
not my idea of an easy project...nor a fun one IMO.

  I would recommend welding the cracks and then
welding in a plate (about 2-3mm thick) over that area where the front mount
actually bolts to.  This is what I did on my '80 before I installed the 16v...
before I welded the plate in place, I drilled the two holes for where the bolts
would go for the front mount.  This way, the plate would be sandwiched between
the cross member and the front mount, while still using the factory mounting
holes.  And making the plate not too thick I was able to still fit the factory
front mount in place with no other clearancing problems...
  In theory this will help to disperse the stress through the plate and
then into the cross member instead of having the load applied to a concentrated
location on the cross member like the factory front mount does.
Ideally, it would be best to take the stress from the front mount and have the
entire cross member bear the load, or even disperse the load to the bumper
mount locations like Ron Wood's "in development" bar will supposedly do.

So, if you can MIG (with gas) weld, or know someone who can that would be
the best idea as far as I can see.  If access to a welder is not an option,
then you might want to find a way to get your car to Cincy so that I can weld
it for you...  ;)
Since the cracks are already present, I just can't think of any other good
method to repair it besides welding...

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v