(semi-OT) windshield removal

Doug,
sit in seat
plant feet firmly in center of windshield
apply *some* force outward with feet while working the inner seal away from the car with your hands.
you will have to make several passes around the half of the windshield that you are applying force
to. you can skip the bottom edge of the seal, as the windshield will pivot around that point as it
comes out. alternate between driver/pass seat as you get the thing to start moving.

see this pic for what you are working with:
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/0-allyn/project/imagepages/image73.htm
its hard to see but there are metal teeth that grab the inside portion of the seal. you need to work
the inner rubber part of the seal up and over these teeth. Once you get them all to let go you will
be able to apply more force with your feet and get it to pop out.

last note, be careful, every time you put this much force on an older windshield, you rish breaking
it in many little pieces.

this procedure took me exactly 3 minutes to get a scirocco windshield out.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch, driveshafts, wheels :)