'82 runs outta gas on hard right turns

I know I've seen this discussed but never seen a fix. At 1/2 tank or less
of gas my '82 (old setup with no prepump) stalls in hard right turns, like
usually 3/4 of the way through a cloverleaf onramp. It gets worse as the
fuel level drops. I stuck a hose onto the exterior outlet of the gas tank
and blew through it, and got bubbles around the end of the interior rubber
hose where it connects to the pickup in the center of the tank, so I'm
thinking that's probably at least part of the problem. I know the
conventional wisdom is that it's inherent in the design of the tank, but
I'm not sure that's the case, since my Rabbit has what looks like the same
design and it never had that problem even when the gauge showed empty.
So... has anyone successfully fixed this problem? Can that hose be replaced
without replacing the tank?