Failed Emissions, what does it mean?

actually thats the way we do it up here. when i first went catless on my '87
(my she rip), we took the cat that i had taken off, hollowed it out, and
then cut it in half. a little streching and some discretely placed brackets
and we have a fake cat that bolts on and off in seconds. well, okay, in
takes longer then seconds to jack up the car but you get the drift. now we
keep it on a shelf here at the shop and pass it around to whomever has to
take the test next.
  hit