Failed Emissions, what does it mean?

If you are going to fab a fake cat to only use once (for smog day) why not
use a real cat???
I have a high flow cat that sits on the shelf with only about 2 days worth
of use (have had it for...10+yrs) and it is still like new.
This way when I get a smog (CA) cert I know it will pass with a good cat
without any problems.
I thought people put hollowed out cats on cars when they didn't want to
remove it at all.
In fact a good friend of Craig and I uses a hollowed out cat (with a pipe
welded inside) every day on the car except smog day at which time he swaps
out the hollowed out unit for a good unit and swaps back after smogging.
Enlighten me here....what am I missing???

Randy
(smog legal 1 day out of every 2 yrs.)