Lightened Flywheels

If an engine has a very heavy flywheel it will have a large effect on
the speed of the car if the revs are not matched correctly since a lot
of energy is transfered from the car to the flywheel to speed up the
flywheel. With a light flywheel litte energy is required to speed it up,
so a lighter flywheel requires LESS precision in matching revs to shift
smoothly.
Dan