Lightened Flywheels

Oh, I see that Mr. Meze already beat me to making a lot of the same points.
Well, now that I've written my own version... I'll let you read it, anyway!
:^)
************************

Guys, a lightened flywheel does not effect the *amount* of engine braking
force available. Rather, it speeds up the time that it takes to get to a any
given amount of that engine braking. That is, if there are say... 50 ft/lbs
of engine braking torque available, this amount does not change regarless of
the flyweel weight. If you were to measure the amount of time that it takes
for all 50lbs of torque to be transfered, there would be maybe .5 secs from
"0-50" with the light flywheel and 1.0 secs with the heavy one.

Or, think about it this way. The light flyweel makes the motor feel more
responsive when you're accelerating because less mass has to be accelerated.
In this case, the responsiveness of the motor is affected the same way under
deceleration. Torque is torque whether it is positive or negative.

All group member's flywheels must be lightened by on week from now, next
Thursday evening. This is my decree. I have spoken.  ;^)
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!