What were these LEDs for?

I had LEDs in my 8V and am going all out with a custom plaque below them
this time. If you take the thing apart this is what you'll find.

The holes that you see in the  middle of the cluster are molded into the
face of the cluster. removing the center piece where the clock and up shift
indicator are you'll find the 5 LEDs and 5 black LED like lumps. There is a
plastic retainer that is held in two places, about 1 LED width in. Remove
the frame that has the 5 lumps and 5 holes for the real LEDs, it's pressed
onto two little studs. You can install 5 LEDs in the lower position very
easily since the holes for the leads are already there. Take the plastic
thing with the fake LEDs and drill out the lumps so it will sit over all
ten LEDs. You should try to be neat but don't worry too much since it won't
be seen once you reinstall this piece into the cluster. No is the wiring
part... Be creative, I was.

I the one I plan on taking apart here and can take pictures if your interested.

-Raffi