aagh, I hate car laws

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, ATS - Patrick Bureau wrote:

> No cat installed. if the car is not a built with one, you don;t need it, if
> it was, ya need one for inspection
Hi Patrick,

True, that one i am just venting that i hate the laws, not that they
shouldnt have failed me. The way the laws are sucks eggs is my point. To
pass emissions you only need to pass the tailpipe sniff, but to pass
"safety" they verify you have a catalytic convertor, how is it "unsafe" to
drive without a cat. whatever. I failed it, i'll either install a cat or
find a more open minded inspector.

Probably i'll go do the emissions test first, if i pass with no cat, then
i feel perfectly justified to find another way to get a safety ticket. If
i'm not polluting i have no problem being creative. Heck, just driving at
all is polluting, all you enviro weenies should walk rather than gripe
people don't have a cat, you are 99.9% as guilty as I am by the fact you
have a car. I will grovel before all people with convictions enough to
boycott mechnized transport.

If i fail emissions, I am going to admit im whipped & weld in a cat. (and
i'll have a TT downpipe for sale..)

> struts failure: humm, thats a first for me too.
> no front sway bar : was the car designed with one? (thinking of MKI's here)
> again its a safety rule I am sure.

It is NOT a rule that you need a swaybar, sorry i printed out the rules
from the missouri Code of State Regulations. I verified that everything he
failed me on was legitimate, save this one and the struts im not sure on.

My 81 rabbit truch as no front or rear swaybar, as do all base model a1's
(rabbit, jetta what have you.)

I was planning on putting it back in anyway, but they had no right to
fail it. I can see them wanting to tell a customer, "maybe thats not
safe" but failing it, no way. If the swaybar had been the only thing, i
would have been more upset, but since it wasnt, no big woop.

take care,

Steve

P.S. I already ordered tie rods, bought glue to fix the rearview mirror, &
plan to correct anything i feel is legitimate & replace the swaybar
because i was planning to anyhow...

     If you see a mad professor in a minibus, just smile. --James Bond
                      http://westfailure.org