[luck-bad-->worse]: arrested saturday looong (but interesting)

so i'm supposed to be on for a lovely 36 hour shift starting saturday
morning. drag my tired ass out of bed and drive about 1 out of the 2 miles i
need to drive. i forgot my wallet, as i often do when i wear scrubs, at
home. get pulled over cuz the cop i guess wanted to check out the temp
plates on the new roc (you have 30 days to get real ones in georgia). next
thing i know i'm in cuffs b/c of a suspended license (i have a mass license,
but my car is registered/insured in ga) and no proof of insurance (i keep
forgetting you need this in ga--i usually keep the card in my car, but with
the new one and all...so i put it in my wallet) totally blindsided, had no
idea that it was suspended or why. i offer to take the cop the 1 mile to my
house to get this straightened. uh uh. my neighbor happens to drive by,
offers to get the wallet for me. nope. this cop was a total bitch. didn't
care at all that the reason for no ins card/weird tags was cuz i totalled my
car AT THIS SAME INTERSECTION 3 wks ago (she even verified it with the
station!) so i get cuffed and taken to the dekalb co jail, where i'm greeted
with niceties such as "look at the white boy--fresh meat!". no joke. i loved
this. call the g/f asleep in my bed: "hey, i'm in jail, get a piece of
paper" "but i just fell asleep again!". yeah, i'm fine, thanks for asking,
beeotch.
in her defense, she did end up forging my sig on a check to get the $1500 to
bail me out, after 10 hours in jail. not one of those country club ones,
either. this was the real kind. no fun. not to mention the ordeal of getting
my car out of impound yesterday, which i won't go into.
so today i call the mass registry to find out why the hell my license was
suspended. after 45 mins on hold, i'm informed it's suspended cuz new
hamshire suspended it. wtf. call n.h. dmv. they suspended it for an unpaid
speeding ticket 1.5 yrs ago. "but i paid that ticket!" apparently it arrived
5 days after the deadline, so they added fees to it. they sent me a letter
notifying me of the deadline and default judgement if i didn't meet it, but
i just moved and didn't get it. they even have it in their records that the
letter went undelivered. so now i have the following options:

1) pay the $50 late fee, pay the $100 nh license reinstatement fee, and the
$50 mass reinstatement fee.
2) clerk at the court says i can appeal the default judgement against me.
she thinks i have a reasonable story, for whatever that's worth. this has
the advantage of having a plausible defense for when i go to trial; if they
overturn the original suspension, it would be hard to make this charge
stick, i would think. downside is it'll take at least 2 weeks. no driving in
the meantime. i'll be on vacation next week, which softens the blow a bit.
3) do the above, but try applying for a ga license and hope they don't check
with mass to see if my license is valid. unlikely, but i may try anyway.

at any rate, i'll at least run things by a lawyer (any in the crowd?).
interesting sidenote is that they didn't read me my rights, and i never
signed anything indicating that they were read/i understood them. i've been
told this is a get out of jail free card. anybody know anything of this?

interesting sidenote #2: the only times i have ever been pulled over, got in
an accident, or ran into trouble of any kind while driving has been when i
thought that i was doing absolutely nothing wrong. 95% of the time i'm
breaking some kind of law and aware of it, but have never been busted for
these legitimate offences. strange.

short story: my life sucks. for those keeping score at home, that's one
totalled scirocco and one miserable arrest in 3 weeks.

-michael "these boots were made for walkin'" abatzis