Engine Rebuild Costs - ballpark?

Damn

Maybe I'll just buy a Cooper Mini when my 'rocco gives
up the ghost.  It might be cheaper in the long run...

Actually, after 10 hours of working today, we got the
engine back in my vanagon today.  There are a lot of
little freaking coolant hoses and sensors in that
engine.  I mean a LOT.  There are something like 27
individual coolant hoses, most about 3 inches long
just in the engine compartment.  There are 8
individual fuel lines, 2 cylinder heads (boxxer
engine), and about a gazillion hose clamps and oil
gaskets.  Somehow (probably thanks to the hardware kit
I bought with the cylinder heads) it all went back
together without any missing nuts and bolts.  The
exhaust is in position on some floor jacks, just
waiting for daylight and the feeling of numbness in my
arms to go away to put it back in.

It really helps to have a friend that will help you
out for hours on end for just some beer and breakfast
- not necessarily in that order, but occasionally...
and sometimes they are one and the same :)

Thanks for the email- good reality check - need any
tips on pulling the engine out of your 91 v'gon, lemme
know - I can tell you a lot of things NOT to do :)

Mark

--- Chris DeLong <green536@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ok just to give you guys a little break down on how
> I got my figures. When I
> made that quote it is assuming the engine is in the
> car. The shop (I work
> at/run whatever) charges 10 hours to r&r the engine
> longblock. Then you are
> looking at about another 8 hours in disassembly and
> reassembly of the
> longblock itself. This amounts to roughly 1300$ in
> labor alone (shop rate is
> 70$ per hour). Then you have 250$ in pistons, 85$
> for a lower end gasket
> set, 100$ for a upper end gasket set, 150$ to bore
> and hot tank the block,
> 100$ for all 8 valves, then about 200$ for 3 angle
> valve job and head
> reassembly, 18$ for a timing belt, 30$ for a
> tensioner, 25$ for antifreeze,
> 13$ for oil, 140$ for tune-up parts, 125$ for a
> clutch, 65$ for rod
> bearings, 140$ for main bearings (we only use main
> bearings with the 6 piece
> center main setup), 85$ for rings, allow about 100$
> for misc. shit (hoses,
> sensors and whatever else looks like it is going to
> fail soon and wont cost
> the customer $$ for labor to replace while we are in
> there). Now keep in
> mind I am fully aware that some of these prices
> might seem a little high for
> parts. Also keep in mind that we the internet using
> type people generally
> shop around for the best deal. This is what I would
> charge Joe Schmoe who
> makes it clear that he wants the whole shebang and
> wants it done right. I
> hope this gives you guys a little insight as to what
> goes on with "the other
> side".
>

> >I didn't mean replacing the pistons - just honing
> the
> >cylinders....
> >
> >It would be nice to know a price list, but so many
> >things vary... I knew it was a silly,
> multi-answered
> >question.  What will probably happen is that I will
> >rebuild it myself next summer, after I have
> forgotten
> >how painfully time consuming the engine rebuild
> >process is, and only remember the (cough cough)
> good
> >parts of rebuilding the vanagon engine.  I managed
> >put all the pistons back in facing the wrong
> >direction, so that will be the first order of
> business
> >tomorrow.... ("Oh - you mean the arrow on the
> pistons
> >is supposed to point to the OTHER flywheel ;)")
> >

> >Hey - you've got a vanagon don't you?  I remember
> you
> >being on the van list for a while last year.....
> They
> >are a lot of fun until they break :(
> >
> >Still got it?
> >

> >--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:

> [...]