Engine Rebuild Costs - ballpark?

Ok just to give you guys a little break down on how I got my figures. When I
made that quote it is assuming the engine is in the car. The shop (I work
at/run whatever) charges 10 hours to r&r the engine longblock. Then you are
looking at about another 8 hours in disassembly and reassembly of the
longblock itself. This amounts to roughly 1300$ in labor alone (shop rate is
70$ per hour). Then you have 250$ in pistons, 85$ for a lower end gasket
set, 100$ for a upper end gasket set, 150$ to bore and hot tank the block,
100$ for all 8 valves, then about 200$ for 3 angle valve job and head
reassembly, 18$ for a timing belt, 30$ for a tensioner, 25$ for antifreeze,
13$ for oil, 140$ for tune-up parts, 125$ for a clutch, 65$ for rod
bearings, 140$ for main bearings (we only use main bearings with the 6 piece
center main setup), 85$ for rings, allow about 100$ for misc. shit (hoses,
sensors and whatever else looks like it is going to fail soon and wont cost
the customer $$ for labor to replace while we are in there). Now keep in
mind I am fully aware that some of these prices might seem a little high for
parts. Also keep in mind that we the internet using type people generally
shop around for the best deal. This is what I would charge Joe Schmoe who
makes it clear that he wants the whole shebang and wants it done right. I
hope this gives you guys a little insight as to what goes on with "the other
side".

>I didn't mean replacing the pistons - just honing the
>cylinders....
>
>It would be nice to know a price list, but so many
>things vary... I knew it was a silly, multi-answered
>question.  What will probably happen is that I will
>rebuild it myself next summer, after I have forgotten
>how painfully time consuming the engine rebuild
>process is, and only remember the (cough cough) good
>parts of rebuilding the vanagon engine.  I managed to
>put all the pistons back in facing the wrong
>direction, so that will be the first order of business
>tomorrow.... ("Oh - you mean the arrow on the pistons
>is supposed to point to the OTHER flywheel ;)")
>

>Hey - you've got a vanagon don't you?  I remember you
>being on the van list for a while last year.....  They
>are a lot of fun until they break :(
>
>Still got it?
>

>--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Mark Mages wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey there - I was wondering if anyone could give
> > me a
> > > ballpark figure for a 1.8l 8v rebuild by a shop.
> > > Nothing too fancy, probably just a standard
> > job....
> > > pistons, rings, valves, grind the crank, seals,
> > etc.
> > > No blueprinting or high $$ balancing required :)
> > >
> > > I have learned over the last few weeks that I have
> > > neither the patience, nor the time, nor the access
> > > parts necessary to rebuild my own engines.  The
> > first
> > > time may very well be the last.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > =====
> > > Mark
> >

> > Mark, would you really need to replace the pistons?
> > Seems new rings
> > would do it, but of course it depends on the
> > condition.
> >
> > Man, such a wide range in prices.  Any body have a
> > staged price
> > schedule?, you know like for A you can expect to pay
> > X, for B you pay
> > XX, etc.
> >

> > TBerk

Chris DeLong