Replacing Parking Brake Cable was: OT: Quantum in school car show

Andrew Wong wrote:

<snip>
> My Rocco question is I snaped my E-brake cable today
> and I read over the Bently about changing the cable,
> but I would have to remove the rear brake.  How would
> I remove the brake with what kind of tools and is it
> safe enought just to put the car in gear and lift the
> car up to check the cable
>
> =====
> -Andrew Wong
> 1984 Black Scirocco(stock)

Considering your 84 has rear drum brakes I will pontificate in the
following manner:

- Replace BOTH cables. You don't want to have to be back in there next
week nor will they both be the same length anymore due to stretching
over time.

- Rear Drums brakes come off to expose the wheel bearings, great time to
clean and repack with new grease or even replace them outright.  There
is more.

- Rear Drum Brakes have both drums and pads AND a bunch of little
springs and stuff. You might get the drum off and find it's well within
spec and lots of pad left BUT: Replace those springs and crap now while
you have the chance. ATE makes a kit and it has most every thing.

- Rear Drum Brakes have a small piston in there, it can be fine but
might be leaking a little over time. These things are cheap (like $15 or
so) and why not swap them out, good for another 100K miles.  :])

- The cable(s) come with a sheath about them, I lubbed them on both ends
with Redline synthetic bearing grease. I found getting them stretched
that 1st time and hooked on both ends to be the hardest part, working
alone as I was. Rear hooked 1st and then vice grips on the other end to
get the second one to the balancing bar and tighten the nut down. Grrrr.

Some of what you are after is in the Bentley/ Haynes but there will be
lots of fun getting the goodies in the back on when the other side is a
mirror reverse.  ;])

Anywho, I hope this helps.

TBerk