CIS-E brain damaged?

On 3/23/02 3:25 AM, "treed2@u.washington.edu" <treed2@u.washington.edu>
wrote:

> Hey everybody,

Hey.

> Anyway, one bleak October a few years ago it was raining hard and my
> windshield seal was leaking filling my fusebox with water. Eventually I
> got that fixed but one of the things that was damaged in the process was
> my knock sensor control unit(?) (the one with the vacuum line connection,
> whichever that is).
>
> Basically, I know this because it is supposed to send out a (-) signal to
> the fuel pump relay when the engine is running and after the water got on
> the fusebox it stopped doing this. I carefully checked all wiring and even
> checked for the presence of the signal right off the connector for the box
> and it was not there. So, desperate for transportation, I wired the fuel
> pump relay so that it ran the pumps whenever the ignition was on. Good
> enough, I thought.

This sounds like a good bit of deductive reasoning. I had similar problems
getting my 16v conversion to run, and it turned out I had fried the main
brain box.

If you know someone with spare brain boxes, knock sensor and the main one,
try swapping them and see if you can get the correct readings at the DPR.
Sounds like you have done some good detective work, start with KS.

Rare as it seems, it CAN happen.  In my case, I had made some bad
connections when wiring the engine in and it allowed a ground to happen that
should not have.

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |