cross drilled rotors

I have 10.1 16v xdrilled on the front of the bunny and previously the
front of an 987 16v.
I never had any problem with these brakes. But these were most likely cast
with the rough holes in themold and then countersunk.
does it reduce the sweep area? yes
dies it allow for off gassing .. yes.
does it still slide the front tires. yes.(on both cars)
what are the xdrilled really for.
cross drilling may have been for off gassing originally
but thier biggest application that i can ses
is that they look cool (PO bought them)
and they do provide more Surface area for coooling
it also allows air to actually flow thru the rotors allowing
more convection to take place, but w do have to realize thatthe
predominate cooling effect is thru conduction. Thats why your rims get
hot. esp with a closed wheel like tear drops.
with an open wheel there is just less SA for conduction.
The only way to get real convection cooling is to route airflow thru the
brakes. the cross drilling is supposed to help with brake fade. but your
biggest gains come from using SS braided lines. and then buying cast cross
drilled or slotted rotors. depending on what is important to you.
so there..
my 0.02 pfennings
brian
82 Topless bunny w/ xdrilled 10.1's in front and drum in the back running
the stock master clyn and getting ready to replace the booster.. ugh.
Cuase it has the manual brake pedal return.
oh and the only reason it has the Xdrilled on the front is cause I had
them and they were better then the non-vented 9.4's that came on it.
Im seriously considering going down to 9.4's vented to keep the mods down.