cross drilled rotors

Curtis, put on your flameproof suit  :)  (not really a flame, just a
counterpoint/rant)
----- Original Message -----
From: Curtis <schofiel@telusplanet.net>
To: Scirocco List <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 11:20 PM
Subject: Fw: cross drilled rotors

.. you'll probably have more benifits if you upgrade
> to say...11" disk instead of 9.4 slotted.
>
> 11" slotted would be even nicer ;).. with 4 piston calipers.. ..
>
> that might stop to fast ;)

Or maybe the extra weight will make your car slower to accelerate or brake,
while making your suspension less effective at keeping the tire on the road.
These cars only weigh about 2000 pounds, so every little bit really does
hurt.

If you can drive your car as hard as you ever drive it, then stand on the
brake pedal and lock up the tires, then your brakes are fine.  If you can
lock up your wheels, then the weakest link is the tire traction, not the
rotors, pads, calipers, or anything else.  If you don't drive hard enough to
overheat your brakes to the point that they become the weakest link, then
your brakes are fine.  If you need an upgrade, go to the best pads you can
get before you begrudgingly add more unsprung weight to your car.

Only exception to that I can think of is that in wet conditions brakes can
become less effective, so maybe that's another criteria.   By the way,
slotted rotors will dry off much faster (like in one revolution) than stock,
so that's one more thing in favor of slots, and increased size won't really
help at all.

To whom it may concern, I have slotted rotors on my Passat, mostly just to
see if I could take stock rotors and slot them on my own (I'm a machinist
wannabe, and wanted something to practice on).  I switched pads at the same
time, so I don't know how much of an affect it had on things, but I get the
feeling that wet (soaking wet) performance is better with the slots.