Engine Rebuild Costs - ballpark?

--- Mark Mages <wasserbox@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > pistons, ... grind the crank, ...

These are two things I'd do - replace pistons and grind the crank -
ONLY if it were necessary.  If your ring grooves are OK, and your block
bores aren't grooved or non-cylindrical - just hone the bores and
re-ring it.  AFA the crank, unless some serious crap got in the oil
system, or it was run with tar in the crankcase, I'd wager that you can
clean and reinstall it as-is.  Spend those bucks on a 2.0L oil pump
instead.

> I have learned over the last few weeks that I have
> neither the patience, nor the time,...

Heard that.  I'd sooner build a tranny any day than an engine.  But
I've done many engines and will do more in the future...can't stay away long.

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.