how necessary is the clutch alignment tool?

> Jeff Toomasson wrote:
>
> the Bentley indirectly implies that the procedure can be done without
> it. Is that the case? What can be used in place? Anyone have one that
> provide me with diameter and depth measurements?
>
> Thanks in advance! JT

I got one of the plastic ones free with a clutch kit. I'll bring it I if
I can find it.  btw- I've done it by hand too. It's purpose is to center
the friction disk so you can spear it with the trans axle when it's
reassemble time.

Not critical at all.

TBerk