how necessary is the clutch alignment tool?

IMO, the tool is not at all required.  With the flywheel on fairly
loosely (so's I can still move the disk around with a screwdriver or
something) I take my little fold-up pack of allen wrenches, select
whichever one seems right (takes trial-and-error) and go around that ID
of the flywheel until the disk seems centered equally at all three?
points.  Then I tighten the flywheel as per St. Bentley.  Never failed
me...

Ron