Pick and pull goodies, and some q's about the '84

Nate Mellom wrote:

> Took off work to head to the local junkyard today, and found (but didn't
> buy yet) some good stuff.
<snip>

> - Full black leather interior in an '83 Scirocco (manufacured 3/83),
> with split back seats.  Looked to be in very good shape, normal wear, no
> stitching coming undone or holes to be seen, just muddy.  ($75 for
> everything)
> - Mono wiper on same car, didn't get a price.
> -Cloth/vinyl interior from an A2 Jetta GLI 8v, didn't say Recaro, but
> maybe?  Looked to be in good shape.  Didn't get a price.
>
> Q's.
> Would the leather fit in either of my cars?  I'm assuming it would fit
> the '84, but how about the '81.  And the Jetta seats?  I'd really like
> to ditch the crappy tan vinyl in the '81 with something a little nicer.

Yes, the leather would bolt right into the 84, the 81 with mods. Front
seats are same/same in either car.

Leather rear from Mk2 to Mk1 interior (esp split fold down) will require
fabricating mounts, including some drilling near the gas tank. Is it our
good buddy Dick Wong who has completed this mod? I'm going to but
haven't yet. [TBerk- the slow assed Dr. FrankenBerk]

Jetta seats ala carte will sit real high based on the bottom part,
removing and grafting the current Scirocco bases with the Jetta seats
will gain you fresh seats and the height adjustable combo.

> Now, once again, questions about the '84.  I drove it last night, and
> this is what I found.  Power seemed to really kick in at about
> 2500-3000, would this be normal with my setup (it's been so long since
> I've driven it I can't remember) 1.8 JH (we think), 286* cam, 4-2-1
> (stock, not TT'd yet) with 2" TT cat and catback exhaust.

This sounds normal for an 8v car of most any make, power starts to come
on after 3k.

>  It seemed to
> get somewhat noisy about 3000, too.

I'm picking up good vibrations... Oops, I mean it's prob. harmonics.

> I never did a valve adjustment when
> I installed the cam, how critical is this,

Aaaaah!  Don't do this, you cant get by with replacing it, esp with a
different model and not adjust the valve spacers. The cam is a different
shape. GEt it adjusted before you harm something ass-uming (there I go)
it hasn't happened already.

<snip>

> Nate
> '81
> '84

Randy has been known to pinch them from the Pick n Pulls (I have been
through the same yards after he had been there. (Little did I know it
was him.) :]

You might price them but you usually are expected to buy a pricey 'All
You'll Ever Need' kit with multiple sizes, as if you where a shop or
something, when all you really need is a few new ones to match.

TBerk