burnt valves, weak coil, exorcism. What will fix my car?

--- Brian McGarvey <brianm@zbt62.eastnet.gatech.edu>
wrote:

> have you checked your FI o-rings..
> brian
>
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Dan Miller wrote:
>
> > I have a 1988 16v rocco with 116 grand on 'er.
> The car starts DECENT but not right up.  The idle is
> finicky-the tach seems to be having a siezure at
> idle, moving up and down about 1/16th of an inch
> about 5-8 times a second-and sometimes the engine
> cannot find idle.  300 rpm-1200-300-1200 etc.  The
> engine also misses-almost seems like 1 of the 4
> cylinders isnt firing regularly.  but this is not a
> constant problem.  it is intermittent.  sometimes
> the engine runs fine-below 4 grand- and sometimes it
> runs, well, worse than a 3 leggéd dog.  The engine
> almost always just sputters above 4 grand, but
> sometimes pushes through it and revs all the way to
> the orange.  here is a complete list of the parts i
> have replaced and the tests i have done:
> >
> > REPLACED: fuel filter, coolant temperature sensor,
> thermotime switch, ignition control module, lambda
> sensor (OXS)  and control unit, BOTH fuel pumps,
> plugs (many times- the car loved to load em up b4 i
> replaced the o2 sensor), wires, cap, rotor.
> >
> > TESTED:  differential pressure regulator, hall
> effect sender, idle air regulator, idle and full
> throttle switch, compression, timing, timing advance
> >
> > there are no vacuum leaks and no bad grounds.
> >
> > I have done a resistance test on teh coil as per
> bentley and the numbers were dead center.  Does this
> mean the coil is DEFINATELY good?  or can a coil
> start to fail at high RPM's or be weak? Also, i have
> a friend who had similair problems on his car(1974
> superbeetle), and found it was a single burnt valve.
>  Has anyone had any experience with a burnt valve in
> a 16v rocco?  i am running out of parts to replace
> that could fix the problem, and running out of parts
> to replace, period.  Not to mention my left asscheek
> is starting to hurt because the padding in my wallet
> is getting thin.  If anyone out there can contribute
> a helpful word, HELP ME PLEASE!
> >
> > thinknig of giving up and selling car to junkyard,
> > Dan Miller
> >
> > if i shoot my roocco between the headlights, will
> it roll over an dlook like this?
> >     o                            o
> > [ X ][ X ]==( x )==[ X ][ X ]

My car acted like this once and the culprit was broken
pick-up coil connector which was broken at the
distributor. Apparantly this allowed moisture into the
distributor and caused some shorting out.
I've experienced burnt valves before, but not with any
of my Sciroccos. The burnt valves caused lots of backfires.

=====
Jorel Jackson
web site:  http://geocities.com/jorel140/index.html
1987 16v & 1985 8v Sciroccos