Yay 3 gauge panel

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 01:14:05PM -0800, Ron Pieper wrote:

> Hey Dan, I'd like a photo of the install, I have the same panel waiting
> to go in...how's it look?

No pics yet, as my digicam was stolen recently.  I do have some tips
though:

You will need to trim the Audi panel pretty much down to the gauge mount
to get it fo fit vertically.  I did this by scoring it with a sheetrock
knofe and cracking it off, then shaving it down to size with a shur-form
rasp.

The Audi panel is not square at the ends.. It is trapezoidal, but with a
sort of curve to the edge.  I fixed this by first using a coarse file to
make the edge straight, then used some of the plastic I trimmed off the
bottom of the panel to make a wedge to bring it to a rectangular shape.  I
then used a VERY little ammount of Krazy glue to bond it to the panel. You
can see the seam if you look very close, but it's pretty much invisible
form a few feet away.  (Yes, I AM a perfectionist)

Krazy glue works fine for the panel (I think it's polystyrene plastic) but
NOTHING sticks worth a damn to the plastic the stock center console is
made of.  Luckily I tried a test sample on some plastic I trimmed form
the old ashtray first. I tried:  silicone, construction adhesive,
GOOP/Shoe-goo, Krazy glue, 2 kinds of epoxy, JB weld, PVC pipe cement,
ABS pipe cement, and even some proprietary adhesives we use here at
Boeing.  Finally, I found that a hot glue gun did a pretty decent job.

Dan

--
	Democracy is also a form of worship.
	It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses.

		-- H. L. Mencken