[tech] 2.0l 8V Swap

----- Original Message -----
From: Sal Guzzo <pellom@YorkU.CA>
To: Scirocco <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>; GTI <Mk1gti@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2002 12:32 AM
Subject: [tech] 2.0l 8V Swap

> I finally found one.....actually, I swapped with a list member and scored
> meself a 2.0l 8V from an Audi 80.  I had to trade for a 2.0l 16V block but
> gots me one.....
>
> So now what do I do with it?  (And no, it's not for sale)
>
> Here are the questions to which I need answered.....
>
> 1.  oil pan - the oil pan on the block is dented.  I'm assuming that I can
> use the one from the 1.8l.  Is this correct?

Yes, the 1.8 pan will fit.

> 2.  knock sensor - do I need to add this?  If so, which distributor and
> intermediate shaft do I use?  Is there a site which explains how to do
this
> knock sensor swap?

www.fastforward.ca In particular check out the wiring diagram. It's much
easier than it looks.

> 3.  breather - what on earth do I do with the breather at the front of the
> 2.0l block?  Can I just cap it?  If so, with what?

Cap it off with an 1/8" steel plate drilled and tapped for your warm up
regulator.

> 4.  is it safe to shave the head a little wee more?  What's the
compression
> like with the 2.0l audi block and a solid lifter 1.8 head?  Should I shave
> the head????

CR will be the stock 3A CR which should be 10-10.5:1. I wouldn't go any
higher based on advice from Colin at TT.

> 5.  I'm thinking of replacing the clutch and installing a 16V pressure
> plate, 8V clutch and a FK tranny to boot.  Good setup?

Get a real 16V pressure plate from TT not the "16V" generic PP from the
local parts place. They are different.

> 6.  I'm also thinking about replacing some of the bottom end seals.
Should
> I, and if so, which ones should I replace?

Front main, rear main, pan gasket, auxillary shaft seal. With the engine on
the floor or stand they're all easy to get to.

> I think that pretty well sums up all that I can think about.   All
comments
> are appreciated as this is new territory for me.  Any other ideas are also
> welcomed......TIA
>
> Sal

You'll get an unbeleivable increase in torque from this swap, but it the
head and cam are stock get ready to start shifting at 5500RPM.