Master Cylinder question

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 07:35:07AM -0500, Rick Alexander wrote:
> This is all very interesting. But, has anyone stopped to ask how a different
> length of stroke is accomplished when the cylinders are end to end on a
> common shaft? I can't see how that could happen.

The pistons are not on the same shaft.  The brake rod actuates the primary
piston, causing it to displace some fluid.  some of the fluid coes out the
primary brake ports, the rest of it actuates the secondary piston. There
is a stop rod on each piston which controls the maximum stroke before the
piston bottoms out.. The secondary piston bottoms against the end of the
MC, the primary bottoms against the secondary.  Make more sense when you
look at a cross-secton of a MC, like this:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/master-brake1.htm

Dan

--
"No, no, I don't mind being called the smartest man in the world.  I just
wish it wasn't this one."

		-- Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias, WATCHMEN