(non-rocco) 85 GTI parts... Head swapping?

Just a thought, and I'd like some confirmation on this...

The 1.8 in my Jetta is horrifically slow, and I know that alot of that is
because of it's crappy exhaust.  That said, I'd also love for the engine
to die so that I could put a low compression GTI engine in there.  The
problem is that even though it has 215k miles on it, as soon as I wanted
the engine to die, it stopped leaking/burning oil (last summer I drove
from VA to MA and back and had just as much oil when I got home then when
I left!), and I get the feeling that this damn German engineering is
going to delay this upgrade...

So, assuming the engine gets good compression and all, I'm wondering if
upgrading the head to the GTI head will be a simple, bolt on process?  If
so, is the head called for?  :-)

For that matter, if it's got the better style exhaust manifold, is that
called for as well?

Thanks,
B.

'82 Scirocco <-- sold  :-(
'85 Jetta
'87 Porsche 944

> =>If anybody needs anything from an 85 GTI let me know, as i picked
> =>one up recently for $75 bucks, and am parting it out.  A friend
> =>of mine is probably getting a bunch of stuff for his 86 GTI, but
> =>I might have something someone needs.  Let me know...
> =>
> =>
> =>--
> =>