setting up a FWD for oversteer...

> Isn't it easy to lose control with a FWD setup like
> that?

No more/less than RWD or AWD.

> The classic
> scenario (with me, at least) is coming into a corner
> too hot, and starting
> to drift.  The only way to regain control is to
> power-on, but you're already
> going too fast!  Brakes = bad idea too, so basically
> it's lose-lose.  I hate
> that.

The dynamics of getting there may be a bit different,
but RWD and AWD still boil down to the same situation.
Trust me...I've spun my AWD car more often than my FWD
car! No matter what the layout, application of power
is usually necessary to control a spin-in-progress,
and brakes will get you in even deeper trouble. FWD
and AWD actually are better when you're in trouble
because if you put down the power, at least you won't
make the situation any worse. With RWD, you need to
put down some power to stick the rear end, but too
much WILL make the situation worse. Thus FWD and AWD
typically allow you to go deeper into the corner, and
so that's what people do.

Now, it is possible to design a car that understeers
when pushed too hard in a corner. All you have to do
is put the stock suspension back on! It's much safer,
but certainly not faster.

But no matter what, you still need to solve the
original problem: you went into the corner too hot! No
offense, but that's a problem that lies between the
steering wheel and the seat cushion.

When FWD drivers talk of getting the rear end to come
around entering a corner, they aren't talking about an
uncontrolled spin. They're talking about the same sort
of behavior you can induce on a RWD vehicle. The only
difference is that you HAVE to use the weight of the
car to do it, while RWD cars have an additional
possibility of using power. However, RWD power is a
double-edged sword. Good drivers can use RWD power in
ways that help control the car, but this is difficult.
It's much easier to use RWD power to get yourself in
even more trouble. :)

If you're getting uncontrolable spin characteristics
entering a turn, your suspension setup probably needs
some work, but it isn't directly a result of
RWD/FWD/AWD.

Now, your original question regarding power-on
oversteer EXITING a turn is another story. A Quaife
will (supposedly) help, but you're still talking about
a distinct RWD characteristic. I've never really
cared, as it isn't a necessary component of going fast
anway...

Neal

=====
~Neal