setting up a FWD for oversteer...

Trailing throttle oversteer is like this.
Burn into a corner too fast. Let off throttle. Back end swings around.
Car is now pointing into the corner and since the car is somewhat
sideways it's scrubbing off speed. So, trailing throttle oversteer not
only points in the direction you want to go but it's also like putting
on the brakes. If you had to actually stop for some unforseen reason,
you could potentially let the car get 90 deg to the direction of travel
and stop without using the brakes while still maintaining control of the
direction of travel. (unlike locking up the brakes!)
Points you in the right direction, slows you down. As soon as you're
pointed the way you want to go punch the throttle, the back end sticks
and off you go.
Clearly if your car is unbalanced it could come around so fast you
wouldn't be able to recover.=20
Find a deserted spot with lots of runoff room (or try the local
autocross) and practice. You always want to know what the car will do in
an emergency.
Dan

Joe Doty wrote:
>=20
> Maybe it's just my driving style/lack of skill/etc, but...
>=20
> Isn't it easy to lose control with a FWD setup like that?  The classic
> scenario (with me, at least) is coming into a corner too hot, and start=
ing
> to drift.  The only way to regain control is to power-on, but you're al=
ready
> going too fast!  Brakes =3D bad idea too, so basically it's lose-lose. =
 I hate
> that.
>=20
> I just want to be able to drive fast with some oversteer, and be able t=
> control it in a sane manner at the same time!  I tried no front bar wit=
h my
> setup (scirocco 16v, neuspeed sports, bilstein sports) and that equated=
 to a
> bent wheel, tweaked axle, two spinouts, etc...Anyway, you get what I'm
> after.
>=20
> Pushing to the static limit of handling is cool, but getting the back e=
nd
> out under control is way cooler.  In a completely controlled environmen=
t, of
> course.  ;)
>=20
> Joe
>=20
> >I can't imagine a practical means to induce throttle on oversteer in a=
 FWD