my "new" race tires

I have almost bought that manual tire changers a few
times. The problem is that race tires have such STIFF
sidewalls, that I'm not sure it would even work for
me. The tire man has a hell of a time as it is with a
power machine! When I start running the '77 with 13"
Hoosiers on fragile spun aluminum wheels, I don't even
want to risk it. I've had tire guys tell me 13"
Hoosier Radials are worse than the rubber bands they
put on 18" Porsche road racing wheels...

Neal

--- "Kenneth Folkman Jr." <mk1madness@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> <snip>
> > The only problem I've had before with used tires
> is
> > that it costs so damn much to mount them that it
> isn't
> > worth only getting one event out of them. I have
> one
> > set of BFGs in the garage that might have a couple
> > events left on them. Unfortunately, I had a BIG
> event
> > coming, and I didn't want to risk cording a tire,
> so I
> > got new ones. At $45 or more to mount/dismount a
> set
> > of tires, then another $45 re-mount the "new" ones
> > race or two later, I might not ever use these. I
> gotta
> > find me a "sponsor" with a tire machine!
> >
> > Neal
>
> Just get one of those manual tire changers that
> bolts to the floor from
> Harbor Freight.  My dad's got one and it works
> pretty good.  My brother put
> on a set of snow tires for his quattro in about an
> hour.  I don't remember
> the exact cost, but it was fairly inexpensive.
>
> Kenneth

=====
~Neal