my "new" race tires

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Neal Tovsen wrote:

> What size are they?
225/50/14

Hoosier RS303, right?
correct :)

> A number of people autocross the road-race compound
> tires because the autocross compound tires wear out SO
> fast. Is that last pic actually a flat spot? Doesn't
> look like it...looks more like just some rubber
> build-up.

Yeah, i thought that pic was of chunking tread, but looking closer you are
right, just rubber buildup :) there are small flats elsewhere, but nothing
big.

> got new ones. At $45 or more to mount/dismount a set
> of tires, then another $45 re-mount the "new" ones a
> race or two later, I might not ever use these. I gotta
> find me a "sponsor" with a tire machine!

There is a used tire store here that will mount a set for $20 or so, so i
got that licked. Try used tire stores, as they sell tires here for $15
mounted, so just the mounting is pretty cheap, YMMV where you are... BTW i
bought a tire rack mounting machine, $35 on sale, but it tears up alloys
something awful. It would either need to be modified, or use steel wheels
for race tires.

In any event, not being competitive, if i cord a set i can just switch
back to street tires..

BTW, these are definitely more worn on one side than the other. He said he
flipped them at some point through their life, but just so i know for
sure, do i want the more or less worn half toward the middle of the
car? (not sure he actually ran them long enough after flipping to even up
the wear...)

my alignment will be stock rear, 2 deg + negative front, & i have
coilovers 300# front, 200# rear & bilstiens (if that helps) lowering is
planned at 1 inch more or less. My shocks arrive this friday, so i hope to
get out the wrenches & have the suspension installed saturday :)

thanks,

Steve

     If you see a mad professor in a minibus, just smile. --James Bond
                      http://westfailure.org