my "new" race tires

What size are they? Hoosier RS303, right? Yeah, even
if they're worn out (doesn't look like it) they'll be
10x better than any set of tires you've ever driven
before unless you've driven on real (non-DOT) slicks.
A number of people autocross the road-race compound
tires because the autocross compound tires wear out SO
fast. Is that last pic actually a flat spot? Doesn't
look like it...looks more like just some rubber
build-up.

I'm presuming you got them for free or nearly so. If
that's true, who cares if they only last one event??
Have fun! Especially if you can get them mounted for
free.

The only problem I've had before with used tires is
that it costs so damn much to mount them that it isn't
worth only getting one event out of them. I have one
set of BFGs in the garage that might have a couple
events left on them. Unfortunately, I had a BIG event
coming, and I didn't want to risk cording a tire, so I
got new ones. At $45 or more to mount/dismount a set
of tires, then another $45 re-mount the "new" ones a
race or two later, I might not ever use these. I gotta
find me a "sponsor" with a tire machine!

Neal

--- jester@westfailure.net wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Picked em up tonight. He said that these are the
> worst he runs them before
> switching to a new set. Also, they are road race
> compound, not autocross,
> will they still be better than street tires for an
> amateur autocrosser
> like me?
>
> First,
> everyone in a pile...
> http://westfailure.net/gallery/misc/aam
>
> then, the money shots ;)
> http://westfailure.net/gallery/misc/aar
> and
> http://westfailure.net/gallery/misc/aap
>
> Finally, this one is the worst, dunno if this would
> pass tech at
> autocross, would it?
> http://westfailure.net/gallery/misc/aan
>
> There are a couple of flat spots, but at slow speeds
> that should be
> okay? In any event, i can see if this size can be
> made to fit without
> spending $600+/-
>
> take care,
>
> Steve

>      If you see a mad professor in a minibus, just
> smile. --James Bond
>                       http://westfailure.org

=====
~Neal