Cams, Hydraulic heads and Opinions

--- Rick Kellner <rfkellner@snet.net> wrote:
> Hi, I am an new member to the group.  I decided to join on the
> recommendations of Rick with Rolling Roc.
>
>     I am looking for your opinions on switching from an 8 valve solid
> lifter head to a 8 valve hydraulic.
>
>     First, the situation.  I want to replace the cam (with a G-cam)
> and replace the 'dreaded' single outlet exhaust on my 1984, JH motor,
> solid lifter 8v Scirocco with 180k miles.  I have resigned myself to

G-grind only works on the solid lifter head.  The JH solid-lifter head
is usually what people upgrade to!  I'd keep it.  It's a large valve
head, and with the G-grind, and some port matching, plus bolting up a
4-2 manifold, you should be quite happy with the bump in midrange plus
a strong top end...

> the fact that at least one of the studs on the manifold will break
> which will require the head to come off.  Once the head is off new
> opportunities present themselves.  Should I replace the solid lifter
> head with a hydraulic one?  This would save me the time consuming,
> tool and shim intensive job of adjusting the valves with the new cam.
>  The shims present a problem to me since I don't have all the tools
> nor an assortment of shims.  Also, once the cam is hot it has to be
> checked again and finally one more time after it has run a few
> hundred miles.

Adjusting the solid lifter head is not a big job, certainly not enough
to warrant switching to a hydro head...

>     I could be working on the hydro head, still drive the car and
> never have to break an exhaust stud or measure a shim!  The drawback
> is the solid lifter revs better and has one more bearing.  Comments?
> Thanks, Rick K.

HTH,

Mark,