Cams, Hydraulic heads and Opinions

------=_NextPart_000_00CB_01C1C2B3.88B6CB20

Hi, I am an new member to the group.  I decided to join on the =
recommendations of Rick with Rolling Roc. =20

    I am looking for your opinions on switching from an 8 valve solid =
lifter head to a 8 valve hydraulic.

    First, the situation.  I want to replace the cam (with a G-cam)  and =
replace the 'dreaded' single outlet exhaust on my 1984, JH motor, solid =
lifter 8v Scirocco with 180k miles.  I have resigned myself to the fact =
that at least one of the studs on the manifold will break which will =
require the head to come off.  Once the head is off new opportunities =
present themselves.  Should I replace the solid lifter head with a =
hydraulic one?  This would save me the time consuming, tool and shim =
intensive job of adjusting the valves with the new cam.  The shims =
present a problem to me since I don't have all the tools nor an =
assortment of shims.  Also, once the cam is hot it has to be checked =
again and finally one more time after it has run a few hundred miles. =20
    I could be working on the hydro head, still drive the car and never =
have to break an exhaust stud or measure a shim!  The drawback is the =
solid lifter revs better and has one more bearing.  Comments?  Thanks, =
Rick K.

------=_NextPart_000_00CB_01C1C2B3.88B6CB20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi, I am an new member to the =
group.&nbsp; I=20
decided to join on the recommendations of <STRONG><FONT face=3D"Times =
New Roman"=20
size=3D3>Rick with Rolling Roc.&nbsp; </FONT></STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am looking for =
your opinions=20
on switching from an 8 valve solid lifter head to a 8 valve =
hydraulic.</FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; First, the =
situation.&nbsp; I=20
want to replace&nbsp;the <STRONG>cam (with a G-cam) </STRONG>&nbsp;and=20
<STRONG>replace the 'dreaded' single outlet exhaust</STRONG> on my 1984, =
JH=20
motor, solid lifter 8v Scirocco with 180k miles.&nbsp; I have resigned =
myself to=20
the fact that at least one of the studs on the manifold <STRONG>will=20
break</STRONG>&nbsp;which will&nbsp;require the head to come off.&nbsp; =
Once the=20
head is off new opportunities present themselves.&nbsp; Should I replace =
the=20
solid lifter head with a hydraulic one?&nbsp; This would save me the =
time=20
consuming, tool and shim intensive job of adjusting the valves with the =
new=20
cam.&nbsp; The shims present a problem to me since I don't have all the =
tools=20
nor an assortment of shims.&nbsp; Also, once the cam is hot it has to be =
checked=20
again&nbsp;and finally one more time after it&nbsp;has run a&nbsp;few =
hundred=20
miles.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I could be working =
on the hydro=20
head, still drive the car&nbsp;and never have to break an exhaust stud =
or=20
measure a shim!&nbsp; The drawback is the solid lifter&nbsp;revs better =
and has=20
one more bearing.&nbsp; Comments?&nbsp; Thanks, Rick K.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00CB_01C1C2B3.88B6CB20--