backfiring out intake -so is timing off?

--- Robbie Cotner <robw_z@yahoo.com> wrote:

> OK, if the engine(not running yet) backfires out the intake, (enough
> to blow the big circle boot off, when not clamped) does that mean my
> timing is off?  As long as I put my flywheel on right it should be
> right on.........

Ok, just to make sure you set the valve and ignition timing right did
you:

- #1 cylinder at TDC (comp. stroke) (check through bellhousing plug
that the pointer lines up with the recessed "O" on the flywheel

- line up dot on back of cam sprocket with top of valve cover

- line up dot on intermediate shaft with notch in crankshaft pulley
(vibration dampener) (not absolutely necessary, but makes lining up
dist. easier, and for less confusion for the next person working on
your car...)

- install timing belt, making sure everything still lines up ok after
it's tensioned properly

- now rotate the crank slightly to line up the pointer to the 6deg mark
on flywheel.  If you pop your dist. cap off, the rotor should be
pointing at the line notched in the dist housing.

- install dist. cap making sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 spark
plug wire terminal, and see if your firing order is correct (1-3-4-2
clockwise direction)

Your valve timing should now be perfect, and the ignition timing will
be close enough to get it running (use a timing light to fine tune
it...)

HTH,

Mark.

Post your ad for free now! http://personals.yahoo.ca