backfiring out intake -so is timing off?

--0-126303110-1025470440=:34465

OK, if the engine(not running yet) backfires out the intake, (enough to blow the big circle boot off, when not clamped) does that mean my timing is off?  As long as I put my flywheel on right it should be right on.........  is there any other reason it would backfire?  I cranked it before when my timing was off(lined up with wrong mark on cam sprocket), and it didn't ever backfire-  so maybe fuel got into the intake or something and that is causing it?  It has backfired the last 3 starting attempts, I don't want to clamp down the intake boot so I can prevent damage...  thanks a lot-

Rob