Removing the flywheel

Sounds like your bolts have a 12 point head which isn't too common
although IIRC there are a couple in the tranmission. This shouldn't be a
problem if you have a 12 point socket, but if your socket is only 6
point then, obviously, it wouldn't work.
OTOH, most sockets are 12 point, so no problem.
Dan