A/C Problems

Car in question is a mostly stock 16v.  Thanks to the local heat wave, I
found out I don't have any A/C.  Normally, I'd assume that theirs a leak and
there's no freon left, but this seems different.  Went I turn on the A/C,
the idle adjustment kicks in, and my idle races to about 2k.  It's as if
there's no additional load created by the A/C compressor.  I've checked the
belt, it's intact.  I've watched the A/C pulley turn and there's no visible
signs of problems there.  How big of a leak would I need to create no load
on the engine?  I wouldn't think that an empty, but mostly sealed system
would cause this.  The A/C worked last year and I'm suspecting that the shop
that I let work on my car screwed something up (last time I go there).  Any
ideas or test would be appreciated as Bentley is a little vague on this
topic.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II