5 exciting new HORNEY pics to whack with.

"Scott F. Williams" wrote:

> > Scott:
> > Measure from the back of the valve head to the end of the horn.
>
> The "valve head"? What is the *head*, exactly?

The valve head is the large diameter part of the valve....valve stem and
valve head.

> > Any way to put a small bend in the tract with part of an
> > aluminum u-bend between the horn and the TB??
>
> I think there's some value to having the air travel in a direct shot without
> any bends whatsoever. That's what I've been led to believe, anyway. I also
> forget if there'd be any potential interference between the horns and the
> radiator. The fit is pretty damned close.

I'm with you on having a straight shot, but I doubt a 20 deg bend at a
decent radius would make a measureable difference. As an example, GTS
Corvettes curve their intake pipes over the top of the valve cover with
a bend of at least 120 deg.
The value of having an intake tract the right length so it is effective
in the power band you intend to use is quite dramatic. Maybe just run a
test with the hood off the car (or the hood up on a dyno) to find out
what the gains might be to see if it's worth accomodating a longer
intake tract.

On another related issue...any filters or boxes put over the ends of the
intake horns need to be designed so as not to interfere with the pulses
or cause unwanted reflections.

I hate to be so insistent on some of these issues, but I really did see
some amazing gains by putting equal length 18" runners on an old Fiat
124 engine and the gains happened right at the predicted RPM.
Guess I'll have to get off my dead ass again and post pictures of the
manifold I built and the before/after power curves.
Dan