custom radiator/intake system (was: "Scirocco-style" drag-racingradiators?)

Scott-
  Wow, you are delving into a deep subject.  The simplest answer (for me!)
is to refer you to Carroll Smith's book, "Tune to Win....the art and science
of race car development and tuning".   Chapter 9, a thorough treatise on
aerodynamics, deals extensively with ducting.  If you don't have access to
this publication, let me know off-list and I'll try to condense the
pertinent parts.
I think you are on the right track with ducting the intake over a shortened
(height-wise) radiator, although using the hood as part of the duct will
bring its own set of problems, none of which are 'show-stoppers'.

Larry  sandiego16V