where do you get valve shims!? How do you get old ones out?

Be warned that the "tech procedure" at that site has
one flaw, step 1: "use a 19mm wrench on the camshaft
sprocket bolt to rotate the camshaft".

This info is in the Bentley somewhere: rotate the
camshaft by turning the crankshaft, period. You can
remove the spark plugs to ease the job.

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco