block over boring

The bore spacing, centerline to centerline, is 88mm, so the issue here
may be adequate head gasket between the bores in addition to whether the
cylinder wall will be thick enough to not flex excessively after
overboring.
Audi bored the blocks out to 85mm for BTCC racing, but they probably had
real special head gaskets and were able to x-ray and select the blocks
with the thickest cylinder walls. I think 83.5 is a reasonable maximum
for street use. That gives 4.5 mm (.18") between bores.
Yeah, the kit plus machine work would be more than starting with a 9A.
Dan