Composite Dash - Good Idea or Bad Idea

If it is built well, it would not crack.  By built well, I mean a VF of 55%
or less should do it.  V.F. is volume fraction, and refers to the amount of
resin in the fiber/resin mix.  Something made out of random chopped mat,
like most composite parts (fiberglass boats, the reinforcements for the
carbon hoods at Cincy this weekend) usually have a V.F. in the 80% or higher
range.  A really smoothed out compoosite using a woven cloth (like the
bidirectional (I think it was) cloth used to make the top of Josh's hood)
will still have a high VF to get it that smooth, but that is only at the
surface.  If its really thick this won't affect the overall deal as much,
but we aren't talking about thick stuff.  The parts I made at my last job
were running about 50% VF.  They did not have surfaces that were smooth as
glass, but were textured a good bit, with texture depending on the
production method.  Of course the mold sides were decently smooth, but not
crazy smooth.

The reason this matters is that material properties for composites are
related quite strongly to their constituents and their raitos.  In general,
epoxy resin is really brittle stuff.  Composite fibers are really flexible
(that's how they can be woven into cloths, afterall) and tough (and strong
per weight, etc.).  So if you have something that is 95% resin, it cracks
easily, and if it is 10% resin, it is basically still cloth.  Low VF
(percent of resin, remember) composites are strong for their weight, but
only in the directions of the fibers (just like the cloth of which they are
made).

So I'll get to the point soon.

So high VF will cause the part ot be brittle, but this isn't just true of
the overall VF, but if any areas are high in resin, they will be brittle.
If you have a puddle of resin in a corner, cracks can start there easily,
and even though the same amount of cloth is under it, the crack can spread
from there.

So here's the point.  If your buddy can make composites of high structural
quality, then your dash won't crack unless the car is totalled.  Any monkey
with the right shop set up can make you a carbon dash that would crack under
vibrations or during installation.

If you really don't want it to crack, make the dash with a vinyl (not
vinylester) or ABS plastic material as the resin.  That resin isn't brittle
at all.  You could use a clear ABS with two sheets of biderectional carbon
cloth to make a dash you could flatten without breaking, but then clear ABS
isn't really clear, is it.

Of course, whatever you make it from, be sure that it is UV protected out
the wazoo (since dashes, like hoods, get lots of UV).  That means several
clear coats, or preferably colored paint, of high quality stuff.  To keep
that from cracking you might need a little flexitive (is that what they call
it?) - the stuff they mix in paint that goes over bumper covers.  That's
assuming you want a really thin, lightweight dash.  If it's thick enough to
be as strong as a stock dash you might not need that (i.e. you need the UV
protection, but not the flexitive).  While you are at it, mount it with some
rubber washers or something.

HTH.

Brian Haygood

PS:
I'm a mechanical engineer, and my last job was at a place called "Automotive
Design & Composites", where I designed, analyzed, and helped build prototype
composite parts for structural applications in automobiles. I'm not an
expert, but I picked up a few things.